[CentOS] OT: Suggestions for database for physicians patientrecords?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Aug 20 13:16:23 UTC 2007

There are numerous systems out there, but what I would look for is more
on a document management system then specifically a database.

If it were myself doing this I would look at some way to take a scan of
a medical record into PDF with an OCR that will create a PDF text overlay
so it can be indexed into a database and become fully searchable.

I saw an OCR engine for Linux, a port of a popular commercial OCR engine,
I think it was distributed by Vividata called OCR Shop XTR, it's command-line
driven and is designed for working with large batches at once, I think it
is around $5K. Combine that with a photocopier that scans into PDFs and
dumps it to a samba share which feeds it into the software and after a tuning
period you can crank those 6K files into PDFs that can be fully imported into
just about any document management system out there.

-Ross