[CentOS] Problems reading a backup data DVD

Mon Aug 20 17:20:12 UTC 2007

On 19 August 2007, "Mark Hull-Richter" <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Is there any way to read what's on this DVD (so I can back -up the
> files again, hopefully with better results)?
>
> Secondary related question:  I noticed that my CentOS boot DVD does
> not automount when I put it in either drive - why is that?

Mark: Welcome to the club! Your secondary question is related to my very
recent thread: Re: [CentOS] Re:  Automount configuration problem

Johnny wrote, a few days ago, that gnome-mount handles this. Someone
else had pointed out that it is *not* an automount problem. When I
verified the gnome-mount package, it apparently is fine. I'm stuck with
this problem on my daughters box. I can (usually) mount a DVD on her box
manually, as root, but that's not something I am going to teach my 6
year old or my wife to do. I don't want them running as root. I am
running the Firewall and SELinux (permissive mode) on my box and on
daughters box. Works perfectly on my box. In my daughters box, in the
same drive, it will mount a CD OK but not a DVD. If you find a solution
for this, please  post to the ML, because I'm sure we are not alone.
There's probably a configuration file that isn't 100% correct or
permissions incorrect, but I don't know which file. Lanny