[CentOS] RAID storage - SATA, SCSI, or Fibre Channel?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Aug 21 13:45:48 UTC 2007

I have seen the future and it is SAS, or serially attached
storage not necessarily serially attached scsi as it can handle
a mixture of scsi and sata technologies.

Here we just invested in the MD3000s, which puts the RAID
technology in the disk enclosure and allows multiple initiators
to attach to and share the logical volumes created within with
full write-back caching and multi-path redundancy.

It's a little more pricey, but we tried it the other way and it
wasn't as reliable and besides we were able to re-use our MD1000s
as expansion enclosures on our MD3000s, nice.

Currently the MD3000 only supports serially attached scsi, but I
have been told that support for SATA is in the works, which will
be a bonus when we look to move our file services off NAS onto
SAS.

-Ross