[CentOS] Trying to understand Remote desktops

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:55:02 UTC 2007

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>> I don't know about a minimum X install, but I've been very happy with
>> freenx on centos 5, connecting as easily from mac, PC, or linux. in my
>> lab (human brain imaging), we do remote graphics display all the time,
>> openoffice definitely works. I wanted to be able to work from home and
>> X was just crawling along, unusable. with freenx, its almost like
>> sitting at the console. I have my gnome desktop (KDE is also fine) and
>> all the visual goodness that comes with it. my favorite story is an
>> undergrad working in my lab was able to connect over wireless from
>> Argentina to my server in CT USA, pull up images, and do some real
>> work--the point being that its fast and secure.
>>
>> moreover, there is a very helpful FAQ,
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX
> Do you run the server in init 5?  Or can it run in init 3?
>
> Trying to save memory on the server....
>
> But wait, the client has even LESS memory  :(

Freenx/NX will use more memory at both ends than a plain remote X
session because it gets most of its performance gain and the ability to
suspend a running session by caching things at both ends.  On a fast
local LAN you might just use X, but for remote access it is worth buying
more RAM if you need it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com