[CentOS] SATA vs. SAS

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Aug 22 14:24:25 UTC 2007

I'm testing out an MD3000 from Dell. It can allow 4 hosts with
single 4x serial paths, or 2 hosts with redundant 4x serial
and can chain up to 2 MD1000s off it for up to 45 spindles.

It was 2 RAID controllers in 2 EMMs with 512MB BBU write-back
that is synchronized between them which act as redundant RAID
controllers. Ships with 4 plain-jane 2 path SAS controllers
for host systems.

Downside, right now, it currently only supports SAS drives,
they hope to have a SAS/SATA firmware update maybe by year-end.

-Ross