[CentOS] Hot swap SATA?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Aug 22 15:46:23 UTC 2007

From: Alfred von Campe
>> As to device naming, use LABEL= to fix that.  SCSI device naming on
>> Linux
>> stinks.

>Quick question regarding the naming issue (and sorry for hijacking
>this thread).  My CentOS 4.5 desktop system has two SATA drives: the
>boot drive is /dev/hda1 and the second drive is /dev/sda1.

/dev/hda is being controlled by a controller that mimics an IDE drive and is being accessed through the kernel's ide layer.  /dev/sda is being controlled by a libata-supported controller and is being accessed through the kernel's scsi stack with libata.

All IDE and ATA drives under later kernels will be libata supported, and will show up as /dev/sdx drives.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Alfred