[CentOS] BIND issues, server not responding

Ray Leventhal

centos at swhi.net
Wed Aug 22 19:37:04 UTC 2007

Hi all,

My CentOS 5 nameserver is seemingly unable to be queried by anything but
itself (localhost, 127.0.0.1).  From any other machine, including the
primary which *does* transfer zone files correctly to this machine
(which is secondary), requests time out.

I've put SELinux into permissive mode, so I don't think that's an issue.

/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf begins thus:
=====================================
options {
  directory "/var/named/slaves";
  listen-on { localhost; 127.0.0.1; 64.135.16.15; };
};
=====================================

I've placed a copy of resolv.conf in /etc/ as well as
/var/named/chroot/etc as a result of seeing this message in
/var/log/messages (the file in /etc/ had been a symlink to the file in
the chrooted path before this)

Aug 22 13:10:06 sunspot restorecond: Will not restore a file with more
than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) No such file or directory

/etc/init.d/named status returns:

[root at sunspot etc]# /etc/init.d/named status
number of zones: 172
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running

So....while I'm sure it's simple, I'm stumped.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
~Ray