[CentOS] BIND issues, server not responding

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Thu Aug 23 14:23:07 UTC 2007

<big snip>
Michel van Deventer wrote:
> >From what I see you have iptables 'in the way'.
> Try to add the following rule to iptables and then try again :)
> iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j ACCEPT -p udp --dport 53
>
> If you like to have zone transfers or large queries done as well then you also
> need to open a port for tcp/53
> iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 53
>
> (to make the changes permanent do a 'service iptables save' after adding the
> lines)
>
>    Regards,
>
>    Michel

Hi Michel,

Thank you!  I applied the udp rule and all appears well.

This server is already receiving zones correctly.  The primary feeding
it will not likely ever have more than 300 zones.  Does that qualify as
'large queries' to the point where the tcp rule should be applied as well?

Thanks again for all help offered.  The community support for CentOS has
solidified my confidence as having chosen CentOS as my distro of choice.

Many thanks and kind regards,
~Ray