[CentOS] Trying to understand Remote desktops

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Aug 23 20:04:18 UTC 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:31:21 +0200:

> Now that I know that there is no service I'll see if I can connect to the
> nx user with SSH.

No problem to login with dsa key borrowed from nx user. I get the NXSERVER
prompt. Seems to be okay. Either the passthru authentication for the system
user I want to use doesn't work or the client doesn't work with this server
version.

I followed the wiki so far:
yum install nx freenx

created node.conf

I skipped this part:
PasswordAuthentication no
        AllowUsers nx
as it is not necessary for now, PasswordAuthentication is allowed and all
users are allowed.

service sshd restart
was done by yum

ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1"
not necessary but enabled by default, anyway.

Add this newly created user to the nxserver db :
did that for an existing user that I want to use for connection

Then pasted the private NXSERVER key in the NX client on Windows.

Enable SSL Encryption of All Traffic
Didn't do that as I want to connect via port 22 only for now.

I can connect from the Windows machine with SSH to the target user using
password authentication and I can connect to the user nx with dsa
authentication. No go with NX. Here's what the details say:
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3136
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
ssh: connect to host xxxxxx port 22: Connection refused

Looks like it is the client? Agreed?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany