[CentOS] Samba and Scalix

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Fri Aug 24 16:13:26 UTC 2007

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2007, Wei Yu wrote:
>
>> I think Scalix community edition does not support shared folders.
>>

> Yes, it does, up to 25 users.
>
> Using it here.

Yup. But there is a point of confusion within the docs. I don't remember
where I ran across it but in one of the help files somewhere it said it
was not supported on the community version but others told vaguely how
to do it. And it worked and is working.

Now to answer my own question....

The SWA does not support drag and drop of files to public folders.
Thunderbird does not support drag and drop to public folders. Outlook
does support drag and drop to public folders. I can only assume
Evolution does as well but haven't tried.

As a side note, there is a add on for Thunderbird which is called
Lookout which can read the winmail.dat files created by Outlook. What
this does is if you drag and drop a file to a folder using Outlook,
T-bird can then see it and download those files.

The one thing about installing Scalix... If you do, you have a Scalix
mailserver. Sendmail has to be set for local delivery only, so other
standard outside emailing has to be handled by Scalix and configured
through Scalix. I guess a person could create a virtual machine and get
both on a single server.

Best,
John Hinton