[CentOS] Strange behavior from OO Writer

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:55:13 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com> wrote:

> LOL! I must say you do have the strangest things
> happening to you.
>
> Could it be all caused by operator error? Hmmmmmmmmm.
> What do you think?

I won't rule it out as yet.

However, when the file won't open (or writer even start up) from the
command line using gnome-open <filename>, but it will with gnome-open
<filename1>, when I open the writer from the applications menu and go
to File->Open and select the file and it does not open but the renamed
file does, and when I open a Nautilus window and have the exact same
results, I have to wonder how much operator action could be involved.

FTR, I checked the file and directory permissions - identical and
correct (well, yeah, if I just rename the file between the names and
one works and the other doesn't...).

I know there's a funky permissions problem somewhere in some conf file
or other on the machine because a lot of things don't work quite right
at the moment, but so far I haven't heard a clue (e.g., previously
posted issue with not being able to open pdfs, jpgs and certain other
files directly from nautilus but okay with right-click->Open With),
but at least they open one way or another - this one doesn't.

Besides, if the solution was that easy or obvious, I wouldn't have
raised it here (not any more).

mhr