{Phishing} {Disarmed} [CentOS] Trying to understand Remote desktops

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sun Aug 26 11:31:20 UTC 2007

890952076 at mail.gmail.com>

Mark Hull-Richter wrote on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:37:44 -0700:

> I joined this thread a little late, but I have a related question: how
> do I log in on a remote machine (assuming that some form of remote
> desktop is set up to receive that login on the remote machine) that is
> on the other side of a router (i.e., has no internet-visible IP
> address)?

There is no difference here from reaching the machine for other purposes.
I guess you have to have IP forwarding enabled on the other side. You
connect to port 22 on the NAT router and the router forwards this to port
22 of the remote desktop machine. Or the other side makes the connection
first (assuming *your* IP is routable), that is how "invites" on Windows
RD work. Then you don't need IP forwarding.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany