[CentOS] CentOS 4.5: Automounted USB disks eventually stop appearing on desktop

Bart Schaefer

barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:40:50 UTC 2007

This is just a minor annoyance, but I wondered if anyone has any insights.

When I first boot the system and log in to Gnome, and then plug in
e.g. a USB stick or compact flash card, I get an icon for it on the
desktop.  I can right-click on this icon to "eject" the filesystem,
etc.

Eventually, though, for no obvious reason, this stops working and I no
longer get an icon when I insert a USB device.  The automount is still
happening; I can still navigate to the device under /media with
Nautilus, and I can still umount it from a shell as a nonprivileged
user.

What process is supposed to be noticing the new mount and adding the
icon?  Any clues as to why it would stop doing so?