[CentOS] Creating your own CA and SSL certificates

Brian Mathis

brian.mathis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:19:06 UTC 2007

I've been looking all over (google, wiki, manuals) for docs, and I
can't find any mention of how to set up a CA or certificates
*specifically for centos 5 / upstream 5*.  There are plenty of generic
guides on using openssl for this sort of thing, but I'd like to play
nice within the standard structure of this system.

I've found the /etc/pki directory, but can't find much information
about it.  I reviewed the openssl.cnf file, and it looks like it's not
completely set up, as many directories it references do not exist on
the system.

What I'm looking to do is set up my own CA, then make some
certificates for use with SSL, and sign them with the CA.  This will
be used for internal purposes.

Any pointers to guides or information would be appreciated.
Thanks.