[CentOS] using centos for linux appliance

mike.redan at bell.ca mike.redan at bell.ca
Tue Aug 28 13:21:15 UTC 2007

> Thinking of using CentOS as a host for a Linux Appliance.
>

> 1)Use the binrary rpms and install to a directory on a development
> machine  using the rpm --prefix option.   Not sure yet how to
> specify to
> create and use an rpm database on the development machine as
> opposed to a database on the development machine.

I use rpmstrap (http://rpmstrap.pimpscript.net/) to do this, works
pretty well. (hrm, weird, I just noticed that the maintainer abandoned
the project :O

Rpmstrap can be a little finnicky to get going at first, but after a
little bit, it works great.

> Is this really a sensible approach or just using something
> like Kickstart?
>
> 2) There might be some packages that I want to build from
> source. Then I am thinking I would need the exact compiler
> used to compile the binary rpms. How would I obtain the
> compiler and environment used to build the CentOS binary rpms?

Any compiler will do from what I have seen, for building your own
.rpm's, or for re-building/modifying centOS's .rpm's.