[CentOS] Re: Using HTTP proxy for yum

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:41:48 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Scott Moseman <scmoseman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > proxy=http://hostname.domain.com/
> > > proxy_username=domain\myusername
> > > proxy_password=mypassword
> >
> > Oh, sure, the moment I sent the email, it started working... LOL
> >

> And this morning it stopped working again.  Either yum is flaky when
> it comes to proxy authentication -- or this web filter is not consistent.

Ok, it is not actually working.  I think I surfed via Firefox and authenticated
the first time around when I thought it was working.  With the above config,
I get this message when trying to use yum...

# yum check-update
Setting up repositories
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5&arch=i386&repo=extras error
was
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 407: Proxy Authentication Required
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras

Perhaps the problem is that its a web -filter- and not really a -proxy-?
Maybe I should try bypassing the corporate -filter- and use my -proxy-
at home to see what happens.

Thanks,
Scott