[CentOS] Installing Centos 5 on one system and moving the HD to another....

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 22:13:36 UTC 2007

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a bug report in (0002288) on an install failure on my decTOPs
> (Centos 4.5 installed on them).
>
> I have tried a lot of combinations and it is getting tiring.
>
> What what happen, or rather how do I get the following to work:
>
> Put my HD into a computer (Compaq SSF that I have installed Centos 5 on
> with no trouble), install Centos 5, move the HD to the decTOP.
>

> Different Video card.
> No PS/2 keyboard of mouse on the decTOP
> INTEL vs AMD cpu
>
> Could it work?

As long as the disk controller is the same type you should be able to
bring it up and fix everything else.  I'd set it up to not start X (init
level 3) so you can reconfigure it before it tries to start.  You may
have to fix or remove the HWADDR= line in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file since it won't match the NIC.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com