[CentOS] centos5 iptables expert needed

Robert Spangler lazydog at zoominternet.net
Tue Aug 28 23:20:57 UTC 2007

On Tue August 28 2007 12:27, Dave wrote:

>  Hello,
>      I'm setting up a centos5 router for a friend. It will direct traffic
> to an internal webserver, already in place, as well as run squid proxy. It
> should do nat and have a firewall with iptables. I've set up routers before
> for this purpose but always of the bsd type and using their firewalls. I
> understand the concepts, nat, packet filtering, etc. but i'm not getting
> iptales at all. If anyone is an expert on this i'd appreciate hearing from
> you. I have what are probably basic questions, i've read the docs, but i am
> lost.

What does this network look like?
How many NIC's in the router machine?

I'm running a router/firewall here at home with 3 networks connected and I
find the way I do things a lot better then any software setup out there.

IPTABLES is simple.  It works in a top to bottom flow.  First rule it matches
is executed.

--

Regards
Robert