[CentOS] Re: IBM X3200

CentOS List centoslist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 02:47:18 UTC 2007

>>> Buy a single raid card that can support raid 10 or raid 1+0.
>>
>> The card IBM recommended is only 0,1 and they will not warranty any parts
>> which are not from IBM.
> Then you could software raid the two raid sets, as they will show up
> looking like scsi devices. Is the card they recommend a true hardware raid
> card? Not a fakeraid like the ICH7 intel stuff.
> So IBM will not warranty the raid card. They have to warranty the rest of
> the system, and get a warranty on the raid card from the vendor. I have
> done it with HP several times because the crappy Adaptec raid cards they
> push are less than stellar performers, and their linux driver support
> seems way behind the windows drivers.
>
> Which x3200 were you looking at?
> I could get up to 3.0 TB with 4 750 GB drives on the one I was just
> looking at. And optional raid5. You could just raid1  with 2 500GB drives.

The model i am getting is 436242A x32. IBM insisted that this machine is not
tested with 500GB SATA, and insisted me to pick up 4 x 250GB. If this
machine is able to support 2 x 500GB,  I would just run software raid. The
raid card IBM is proposing is a PCI card which cost abour USD$300. Can you
recommend a good raid card which is able to do raid 10/1+0 and very well
supported by CentOS 5?

Thanks