[CentOS] reading ufs2 filesystems with centosplus kernel

Dave

dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 11:07:19 UTC 2007

Hello,
    I'm running centos5 with the centosplus kernel v2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 and i'm
trying to read a drive that has a ufs2 partition on it. It was originally in
a FreeBSD machine and has some data i'd like to get at. Googling indicated
this should work with the command:

mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 <device> <mountpoint>

device is /dev/hdb5 and mountpoint is /mnt. I'm getting an error unknown
filesystem type ufs. I'm assuming i have to load a module of some kind. Any
help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.