[CentOS] My server won't boot (grub looping - stage2)

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 30 14:59:36 UTC 2007

mbneto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't boot.  It simply does not show me the menu of kernels to choose.
>
> When the problem first manisfested itselfFirst I was getting that loop
> regarding the 'loading stage2'.
>
> After I tried that grub-install I simply get an infinite loop of beeps!
>
> :(
Here is a set of steps that I distilled from how-to's that has worked
for me. It might be worth a try.

Recovery from a screwed MBR (Install GRUB)

1. Boot with a rescue CD
   Go through the obligatory BS; network not needed
2. Once rescue finds Linux, hit OK. Do NOT do the chroot.   Run grub.
Then, from the prompt:
   a. If /boot is an integral part of the / partition:
      grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
                         -or-
   b. If /boot is in a separate partition:
      grub> find /grub/stage1
                     -in either case-
   Grub answers with drive and partition: (hd1,0)
3. Set the root for grub:
   grub> root (hd1,0) (or whatever returned above)
4. Write the MBR on the 1st drive
   grub> setup (hd0)
   (grub will print a bunch of crap, double-checking, and install itself.)
5. Remove the rescue CD and reboot.

When entering the values above, pay close attention to spaces and comma
characters!

HTH.