[CentOS] SELinux question - to fix bug in Webmin

Lanny Marcus

Thu Aug 30 21:50:29 UTC 2007

I found a bug in Webmin when using Webmin with SELinux in Permissive
Mode. The author of Webmin, asked me, in their bug tracker on
SourceForge:

> Ok, thanks ... I see the problem. Webmin opens the log file
> /var/webmin/miniserv.error and connects STDERR to it, then runs other
> commands like iptables, which inherits the STDERR file descriptor.
> This is generally a good thing, as any error output from the iptables
> command will go to that log file.
>
> But with selinux enabled, this fails as iptables doesn't have the
> security context needed to write to that file.
> Is there a chcon option or other command that can allow a file to be
> written by any process? If so, I should update Webmin to run that on
> the error log file.

I replied that I'm a newbie and could he clarify, in newbie terms, what
he would like me to find. He then replied:

> Unfortunately I am a newbie when it comes to selinux too :-(
> What I am looking for is a way to selinux that any process can write
> to a file. I suspect that the chcon command can do this, but am not
> sure how..

SELinux people: Can you explain what he needs?

<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=117457&aid=1781101&group_id=17457>

TIA! Lanny