[CentOS] Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Dec 3 16:40:19 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> I got it to boot by doing a:
>>
>> grub-install '(hd0)'
>
> the /boot/grub/device.map must point grub to the right location for hd0,
> check that once. Also, grub has not been updated in 5.1 at all, so I
> would think your problem is not related to the update at all. When was
> the last time you rebooted the machine :)

device.map contains:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0

However, I've noticed that grub-install is not telling
the truth:

# grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
expr: non-numeric argument
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0

# grub-install '(hd0)'
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0

In the first case it says that no errors are reported, however
there's a message from expr that something has gone wrong. The
stage2 file produced by the two commands differ.

If I add a "set -x" to a copy of the grub-install command
and do a diff on the output I get:

< ++ tmp_drive='(hd0)'
< ++ test 'x(hd0)' = x
< ++ test x/dev/cciss/c0d0 '!=' x
< ++ case "$host_os" in
< ++ echo '(hd0)'
< +++ expr /dev/cciss/c0d0 - 1
< expr: non-numeric argument
508c451
< + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0,)'
---
 > + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0)'

The machine reboots automatically during the weekend if
a new kernel has been installed, yum update runs daily,
so it has been rebooted.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk