[CentOS] SD cards

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Dec 4 23:03:47 UTC 2007

Chris Mauritz wrote:
> centos at 911networks.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to read a 4gb SD HD card class 6 [hispeed], and Centos
>> 5.1 does not recognize it.
>> Any suggestion?
>>

> My understanding is that the HSSD/SDHC cards have somehow changed the
> methodology of how the cards are formatted (or somesuch).

indeed, the SD specification has a 2GB max physical limit, SDHC  (SD
High Capacity) changes how the registers are used to allow larger
cards.   This is somewhat akin to how the ATA/IDE spec had to be
extended over and over to support ever larger disks, most recently the
LBA48 spec to get past the 128GB wall.