[CentOS] SSH question

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Dec 5 20:41:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007, Evans F. Mitchell KD4EFM / AFA2TH / WQFK-894 wrote:
>On my logwatch that I have emailed to me,
>I see a line where I'm showed logging in via a known
>ip address, and when I log in from my laptop through
>my EV-DO card wirelessly, the computer show log in as
>ok, but it can not translate the ip from the aircard
>and marks the log in as a possible hack attempt.
>
>How do you go in and set a network subnet as a valid
>ip block and not an attack attempt?

You need to set up DNS so that the dynamic IP address assigned
internally resolves to a hostname that your system likes.  It may
be sufficient to do this in the /etc/hosts file.

We use split-horizon DNS with djbdns to allow internal resolution
of private subdomains and reverse DNS for the local private net
blocks without broadcasting this to the world.

Bill

A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty
trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
		-- Dave Barry