[CentOS] A few questions about remastering

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 6 13:57:41 UTC 2007

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've searched all over Google, but couldn't find a proper answer to my
> needs.
>
> I've installed CentOS 5.1 only with the packages I need and then made a
> few of my own.

It is complicated ... if it was easy, everyone would be doing it :-D

> Now, here's what I need:
>
> a) To integrate my self-made packages in a remasterized DVD;

copy the tree to disk ... manipulate the tree as you want ... use
buildinstall to build a new DVD (edit comps.xml first)

> b) That the install process of the new version skips package choosing,
> i. e., when it reaches this stage it just installs all the packages of
> the new version;

That would require you to rewrite anaconda totally ... well, you can
pass in some options on the anaconda command line to to installs, so it
is technically possible to have an install happen with no user interaction:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options

If you are trying to make a reconfigurable install (and not redistribute
an OS) what you really need to look at is kickstart installs.  You can
use kickstart installs to automate installs with no user interaction at all.

You can kickstart in things from other local repos (and not just the
centos ones) with the proper setup.

> c) And last, but not the least, how to remasterize the new DVD with the
> original packages I've installed, plus the ones I've made.

This is not easy, as it requires doing many things ... WHY do you need a
remastered DVD?

A much easier approach, especially if you plan to redistribute your
product to others (unless you want to maintain update repos for all your
stuff AND our stuff) would be to create a repo with your new packages
only and instructions on how to install CentOS and add your repo at
install time via the installer.  That way, you only have to maintain and
distribute YOUR programs, not all programs.

If you absolutely insist on rebuilding .. you can't call your product
CentOS or use our logos.  You can say that the product is based on CentOS.

I don't see why one would do this though, as CentOS can support millions
of users right now and is totally free to distribute in an unmodified
form.  And it is MUCH easier to only distribute several updated packages
than all those plus all ours.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes