[CentOS] remote ssh to machine how display firefox

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 02:56:13 UTC 2007

On 07/12/2007, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:

>  >
> > Jerry Geis wrote:
> > >/ I can ssh into a remote machine.
> > />/ I can start X on that machine with startx
> > />/
> > />/ How do I then start firefox on that machine (from the ssh prompt) and
> > />/ have it display on my machine in my office.
> > />/
> > />/ So I want to be using firefox on the remote machine but displaying the
> > />/ screen output from firefox in my office.
> > />/ Both boxes are running centos 5.
> > /
> > don't startx on the REMOTE machine, have it running on the LOCAL machine.
> >
> > local$ ssh -X remote
> > ...authenticate...
> > remote$ firefox
>
>  &
> >
> > and firefox should open on the local...
>
> I tried the above (without the &) and firefox just returns.
>
> I looked at /etc/ssh/sshd_config and X11Forwarding is yes.
>

>  ssh -X remoteIP firefox
>
>  It just took a really long time through the internet...

Then consider:

1. turning on maximum compression ("-C" switch to ssh).
2. If you can switch to VNC or NX then do it, apparently it works
better than X11 over long distances (and from the docs I understand
it's possible to have VNC/NX for one window, no need to setup an
entire desktop for that).

--Amos