[CentOS] Dependency error for perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

Mark Pryor tlviewer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 05:33:00 UTC 2007

--- "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com>
wrote:

> I enabled rpmforge on a fresh install as per the
> centos wiki with priorities and attempted to execute
> 'yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5' and received the
> following:
>
> [root at test ~]# yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> 241 packages excluded due to repository priority
> protections
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected
> packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5.noarch
> 0:1.8-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: /usr/bin/false for
> package: perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/false is needed
> by package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
>
> How do I resolve this?

Joe,

Sure the SPEC is broken since the dependency is on a
binary file from package coreutils, rather than
another  RPM.

However, you are using a Cadillac OS (Linux) which
includes a C-compiler and has as part of its core perl
the perl module Digest::MD5.

------------- snip Digest-Perl-MD5 disclaimer -------
DISCLAIMER
    This is not an interface (like "Digest::MD5") but
a Perl implementation
    of MD5. It is written in perl only and because of
this it is slow but it
    works without C-Code. You should use "Digest::MD5"
instead of this
    module if it is available. This module is only
usefull for

        computers where you cannot install
"Digest::MD5" (e.g. lack of a
        C-Compiler)

        encrypting only small amounts of data (less
than one million bytes).
        I use it to hash passwords.

        educational purposes

I have good news for you. This is one time where its
OK to use CPAN!! We give you permission.

--
Mark