[CentOS] Ethernet over USB

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:36:12 UTC 2007

Krautkramer, John wrote:

> Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?

With an adapter, you can run ethernet over usb in general.

> I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A male
> cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is there a
> particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:
>

>   KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver
>
>   Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
>
>   USB CDC Ethernet driver
>
> These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.
>
> lsmod gives me “usbnet    20041 0” so I believe this means the kernel
> module is there.

There are usb<->ethernet adapters like these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=589
that you could connect through a switch or back to back with a crossover
cable. I don't know if there are Linux drivers for all chipsets but I've
used a few and they were recognized.

Unlike firewire, you can't directly connect 2 usb host adapters,
although since windows vista now includes a utility to migrate items
from an old machine over usb (like apple has always done over firewire)
there are an assortment of usb<->usb adapter cables like:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2791077&CatId=77
but I don't know if Linux knows anything about them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com