[CentOS] File description left open in LVM

Reuben D. Budiardja

techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Fri Dec 21 14:04:15 UTC 2007

Hello,
I used to have LVM on my machine to combine the capacity of a hard drive and a
partition on a different drive as one volume group. I had problem with one of
the disk but I was able to remove all the data of the computer, and replace
the disk, and add another disk

Now I want to start over and create LVM again. However, I keep getting this
message:
# vgdisplay
File descriptor 128 left open
File descriptor 129 left open
  No volume groups found
# pvdisplay
File descriptor 128 left open
File descriptor 129 left open

What does this mean ? Also, in /etc/lvm I found archive/ and backup/ directory
which seems to refer to my old LVM, and also .cache. Are they safe to
remove ?

Thank you for any help.
RDB