[CentOS] ISO burning challenge -- pilgrims progress

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 31 17:16:13 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:
> It's to bad you couldn't continue the prior thread. Would have been
> better to have everything in one thread.

OK.  I see your point here.
>    http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-December/091666.html
>
> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 00:04 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> First the Storix drive works just fine under DSL 4.2.1 on my Libretto.
>>
>> So the drive is fine, the media is fine.  And cdrecord on DSL reports
>> the media to be
>>
>> Manuf. index: 27
>> Manufacturee: Prodisc Technology Inc.
>>
>> I have all of ONE system with Centos 4 on it.  A Trixbox 2.2; I added
>> cdrecord and found that I could burn the iso image ONLY by including the
>> -force option to get around the "cdrecord: Cannot get disk type" error.
>>
>> So I moved back to the Centos 5 system.  I had to add the speed=4 (when
>> the unit supports speed=8) along with the -force to get it to burn a iso
>> image (btw, timeout=100 does nothing.  The failure is in a few seconds,
>> adding to the timeout changes nothing).  There are a number of timing
>> errors on the Centos 5 system.  Even the Centos 4 system had a SCSI
>> error (0x7000).
>>
>> I did find ONE mention of "cdrecord: Cannot get disk type":
>>
>> http://crashrecovery.org/oss-dvd/Changelog.html
>>
>> but that is dated 2/2/06.  One would think it is fixed in Centos 5.....
>>
>> I have NOT gotten the HP CDRW working yet, that is the one I want to
>> leave on the server, as the Storix is my traveling drive.   More work.
>> Any pointers gladly taken!
>>
>> I REALLY want to move my CD processes to Centos.  I want a GUI interface
>> and want to rip and burn music CDs as well.....
>>

> I reviewed all in my sent box and went to the archives to find the start
> of thread that I had not saved. I don't have any more ideas, but did
> find one erroneous statement I made.
>
>     >From days past on LFS, when I was very active and less removed from
>      the professional activities, I can say with certainty that the
>      sr_mod and ide_cd are for the plain old cd-rom on your IDE channel.
>      They are not required for the usb stuff.
>
> The sr_mod *is* needed and I didn't see it in your lsmod output
> (probably because I said it wasn't needed?). It is needed. My confusion
> was from the fact that I was using the ide cdrw I had at that time as
> both scsi and with the newer (at that time) cd stuff that was part of
> Linux.
>
> Anyway, see if an lsmod shows sr_mod. It probably does or the mods that
> depend on it should fail to load, or at least they should give error
> messages. Never mind! In a later post you show lsmod output and sr_mod
> is there.

lsmod|grep sr
sr_mod                 19941  0
scsi_mod              133069  4 sr_mod,sg,usb_storage,libata
cdrom                  36705  2 sr_mod,ide_cd

> I see ide_cd is loaded too. IIRC, you do have one? Not to seem to
> foolish, but I don't recall seeing you use cdrecord with a dev=
> parameter. Any chance that the system is accessing the wrong device?

Over with DSL, I learned that they DON'T use the form:  dev=/dev/scd0,
but rather something like dev=0,0,1 where the 0,0,1 was learned via
cdrecord -scanbus.  So I have been doing the -scanbus and using things
like dev=5,0,0 and I know that I am hitting the CDRW.  Interestingly,
the first number of the triplet seems to increment every time I unplug
and plug back in the CDRW.
> I went through each post in the archives in the thread and, using
> Firefox's search feature, didn't see a post where you showed a "dev="
> being used with cdrecord. Maybe it's worth a try. Putting a written disc
> in the ide one should provoke an automount. Then a mount command would
> show what device is mounted. Then an ls would show which symlinks are
> pointing to that device. Then you could try cdrecord with a different
> one to make sure the correct one is accessed.

definitely using dev=  And like I pointed out, with the Storix adding
-force speed=4 and it does burn the CD.  But the HP drive not.  I am
thinking next I try a speed=2 with the HP, as I recall it is a 6x writer.
> Presuming that you tried all the things people mentioned in the other
> thread, the only course I see now is to make sure that the
> "configuration" on this box matches what is on the others as closely as
> possible. What modules loaded, /etc/cdrecord.conf, symlinks (allowing
> for multiple devices or not multiples), GUI config set up correctly
> (which device), ...
>
> The scsi stack needed hasn't changed much in the last few years, as has
> not the devices used, config files used, ... The major variables I
> (guess I?) see are multiple devices (opportunity for confusion), USB 1.2
> (?), configuration files and related, hardware status (good vs.
> failed)...
>
> Have you, using the same cable and usb port, tried another device?

I have LOTS of cables and use the indiscriminately.  I am not careful
which USB port I use, and I have done this on a few different computers
loaded with Centos 5.   I only have the 2 devices, so I am limited
there.  The Storix is a 'newer' device than the HP, as it is a DVD/CDRW
and the HP is only a CDRW.
> A reading of Schilly's docs and man page might suggest something we have
> overlooked.
Schilly's doc?

I got tired of trying to read the man page, so found a version of it
online:  http://man-wiki.net/index.php/1:cdrecord and so far have not
found anything else to try.