[CentOS] Maildir Cleanup

Jun Salen nokijun at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 10:40:25 UTC 2007

Hi Dunc,

That is perfect, I will try that. Thanks.

Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:17:00 +0000
From: Dunc <centos at duncb.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Maildir Cleanup

http://www.ducea.com/2006/11/25/cleanup-maildir-folders-archive-delete-old-mails/
>  . As I understand, this will be run by each user
> after login. How can I make this runs at least once
> month and
> delete all users message with age more than one
month
> for example using crontab? I am using Postfix,
> MailScanner, SpamAssassin, Courier IMAP/POP3, ClamAV
> and CentOS4.4 as mail server. If you need further
> input, please just let me know. Thanks in advance
for
> help. Thanks.
>
> junji
> linux registered user #253162

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Why not just use the IMAP_EMPTYTRASH option in imapd?
>From the imapd
config file:

> ##NAME: IMAP_EMPTYTRASH:0
> #
> # The following setting is optional, and causes
messages from the
given
> # folder to be automatically deleted after the given
number of days.
> # IMAP_EMPTYTRASH is a comma-separated list of
folder:days.  The
default
> # setting, below, purges 7 day old messages from the
Trash folder.
> # Another useful setting would be:
> #
> # IMAP_EMPTYTRASH=Trash:7,Sent:30
> #
> # This would also delete messages from the Sent
folder (presumably
copies
> # of sent mail) after 30 days.  This is a global
setting that is
> applied to
> # every mail account, and is probably useful in a
controlled,
corporate
> # environment.
> #
> # Important: the purging is controlled by CTIME, not
MTIME (the file
time
> # as shown by ls).  It is perfectly ordinary to see
stuff in Trash
that's
> # a year old.  That's the file modification time,
MTIME, that's
displayed.
> # This is generally when the message was originally
delivered to this
> # mailbox.  Purging is controlled by a different
timestamp, CTIME,
> which is
> # changed when the file is moved to the Trash folder
(and at other
> times too).
> #
> # You might want to disable this setting in certain
situations - it
> results
> # in a stat() of every file in each folder, at login
and logout.
> #
>
> IMAP_EMPTYTRASH=Trash:7,Sent:30
I dont use courier any more but back when I did I used
it to delete
mailing list messages more than 6 months old

hope this helps

Dunc