[CentOS] Migrate RHEL3 to Cent3

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:07:44 UTC 2007

On 05/02/07, Sean Brown <sbrown.home at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have several RHEL3 WS machines that were installed here running as
> servers and their RHN subscriptions were never kept up. Now that I
> have become responsible for them I would like to move them to CentOS
> as I can keep them updated as needed.
>
> Some of them I can simply migrate to new machines, but a few I can
> not. Is it possible to simply upgrade a RHEL3 to the latest CentOS 3?

Yes. Check the CentOS Wiki/list archives, there are examples of what's
needed to switch at will between RHEL and CentOS. It's pretty trivial.

> If possible, once I have it to the latest Cent 3 can I then further
> upgrade the machine to the latest CentOS 4?

Yes and no.

For CentOS3 -> CentOS4, this is possible with the 'upgradeany' option
but not recommended if you can avoid it. Again there should be
numerous threads in the archive.

Will.