[CentOS] What is the diffrence between port filtering and packet filtering ?

Indunil Jayasooriya indunil75 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 04:23:17 UTC 2007

Hi ,

On 2/9/07, Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet.com> wrote:

> mouss wrote:
> > depends on your situation. if you don't have performance issues and no
> > special configuration needs, then a low end commercial firewall would
> > be enough. otherwise, you need to take the time to learn iptables, or
> > find someone to help you build your firewall.
> >
> > there are guis available. google is your friend. one that comes to
> > mind now is fwbuilder.

Personally, if I was using the box as a firewall, lightweight network
> utility, VPN, router, NAT,
> or whatever else a typical gateway might handle, I'd run it on BSD and
> PF in a heartbeat over
> iptables.

When it comes to BSD which BSD Free bsd or OpenBSD.

I have used Free BSD 6.  I think PF was originally came with Open BSD. But
It has been already assed to Free BSD port tree.

So, Which Should I use?

Iptables with linux or PF with Open BSD or Free BSD.

help needed.

Linux's general adhesion to the ridiculously obtuse and
> difficult ipchains/iptables
> legacy is extremely unfortunate at best, and IMO, far less functional.
> Your entire PF
> configuration file (amazingly) named /etc/pf.conf can be easily less
> than 15 lines and
> cover quite a lot of ground.
>
> Kinda reminiscent of the old IPFW, only evolved about 200 years, which
> would make it
> 10,200 years more evolved than ipchains/iptables.
>
> :P
>
> (*climbing back into Nomex in nuke bunker*)
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>
>
> http://www.infostreet.com
>
> "The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto
> racing." -Earnest Hemingway
>
> "Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown
>
> "Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima
>
> "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make
> love." -Sir Stirling Moss

Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya