[CentOS] alternative to rocks cluster

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Fri Feb 9 22:03:35 UTC 2007

> Back to the original poster, are you looking for a way to rebuild the
> nodes automatically, remotely, and completely hands off, or just merely
> to rebuild them quickly?  I only deal with a couple of dozen nodes (not
> hundreds), and using kickstart and storing the config files on the
> server allows me to rebuild a node in about 15 minutes, of which only
> the first minute or two requires my attention and physical presence.  I
> wrote a simple Perl script that generates the kickstart file for each node.

thanks for the reply's - the main issue i have is that when i build a
new box currently my kix has to go something like

then walk away - yes i know thats not that hard and requires minimum
effort - I do however have to find mac's out first etc which on a lot of
boxes at once can be a pain.

i like the idea in rocks to be able to go next mac you see install with
x image so that i can just power up the boxes in order.

I guess id'd also like to be able to select a bunch of already running
boxes and have them rebuild to where they were last install just like
rocks can also do so i guess i'm after a mix of what i have now and some
features that rocks has. I would also like to be able to force a pix
boot next reboot just like the 'shoot-node' command in rocks but i dont
seem to be able to figure out how that works!!

thanks