[CentOS] chown command goof up

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Feb 12 20:53:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 21:34, David A. Woyciesjes wrote:
> 	So, how can I fix this? In MacOSX, there is a utility to fix all
> permissions on the system. Is there a similar item in CentOS?

The rpm-databse contains all you need to know (almost, it wont cover files not
owned by any package). "rpm -V PKG" will tell you if that package has files
that have been modified since install, including uid:gid). The information
can be obtained (dumped) with something like:
 # rpm --dump -ql PKG
which would give you a list of all files in PKG and (among other things) their
original uid:gid.

I know of no automated way of restoring this so implementing x
(rpm --dump -qal | x ) is left as an exercise ;-)

/Peter