[CentOS] Re: chown command goof up

David Woyciesjes david.woyciesjes at yale.edu
Tue Feb 13 00:13:09 UTC 2007

Quoting Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet.com>:

> Scott Silva wrote:
> > I don't know of an easy way to fix this. Root is dangerous!
> >
> Guns aren't dangerous.  People are dangerous.
>
> Anyway.  In case one wanted to do a little chown'ing above and beyond
> the scope of most necessity again, the proper way to deal with the -R
> recursion
> nightmare is by executing it on .??* and ??*.
>
> That will, of course skip anything that has a 2-character name, but
> that's usually
> okay, because it will keep you from recursively chown'ing "..".
>
> Just in case nobody comes out and says it..
>
> Peter

   Yep, seems that is how I shot myself in the foot. Thankfully it's still
attached.
   But that command will go into the subfolders, though, correct?

Another suggestion I got, that I should've done, was '/home/user2/chown
user2:user2 ../user2/*'. But I think that one is missing something... I may
have remembered it wrong. Should've wrote it down...

--
--- David Woyciesjes