[CentOS] [Semi-OT] Advice on large webmail setup

Wed Feb 14 10:25:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 07:22 +0200, Neil Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As the resident Linux guru, I've just been tasked with costing a webmail setup
> for about 600 000 users.  They each have 10MiB (small, I know) mailboxes.  The
> current setup has about 40 million web page accesses per month.
>
> Has anyone here any experience with this kind of thing?  If so, any pointers as
> to software and hardware used, and any other advice would be appreciated.
>
> TIA

Personally ... I think horde is good if you are looking to do webmail on
an existing mail system.  You should be able to tie this to just about
any existing IMAP mail server.

If you are looking to install a mailserver and webmail at the same time,
I think Scalix is a good bet.  It includes the ability to have 25
premium users (ie, 25 people can use the outlook premium mail connector)
and everyone else can use IMAP / POP, etc.

I think that the Scalix webmail interface (ajax based) is the best I
have ever used.