[CentOS] Initialization scripts

mike.redan at bell.ca mike.redan at bell.ca
Thu Feb 15 15:44:20 UTC 2007

>From the chkconfig man page:

       Each service which should be manageable by chkconfig needs two or
more commented lines added to  its  init.d  script.  The
       first  line tells chkconfig what runlevels the service should be
started in by default, as well as the start and stop pri-
       ority levels. If the service should not, by default, be started
in any runlevels, a - should be used in place of the  run-
       levels list.  The second line contains a description for the
service, and may be extended across multiple lines with back-
       slash continuation.

       For example, random.init has these three lines:
       # chkconfig: 2345 20 80
       #              higher quality random number generation.
       This says that the random script should be started in levels 2,
3, 4, and 5, that its start priority  should  be  20,  and
       that its stop priority should be 80.  You should be able to
figure out what the description says; the \ causes the line to
       be continued.  The extra space in front of the line is ignored.

	I'm trying to create an initialization scrip in the
/etc/init.d/.  Of course, the one I have is failing!  At the top of the
other initialization scripts in the same directory, there is are two
lines, the chkconfig and description

	# chkconfig: 2345 55 25

	On the check config line, what are the numbers/attributes that
follow?  If I'm creating an initialization script, what
numbers/considerations should I make?

	Thanks,

	Todd