[CentOS] Re: %include command in Kickstart

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 02:41:58 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Al Sparks spake the following on 2/15/2007 6:33 PM:

>>> At the boot prompt, I did the following:
>>>
>>>    linux ksdevice=eth0 ip=10.254.254.125
>>>    netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=10.254.254.1
>>>    dns=10.1.1.21 ks=nfs:10.254.242.33:/vol/updts/staging/CentOS_4.3/ks.cfg
>>>
>>> I get a blue screen with
>>>    "Welcome to CentOS-4 i386"
>>> in the left upper corner, with the typical navigation key
>>> instructions at the bottom.  It just hangs there.
>>>
>>> I ping the IP address above, and get no pongs.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>    === Al
>>>

>> Dont you also need a
>> method=nfs:nfs:10.254.242.33:/vol/updts/staging/CentOS_4.3/ for
>> anaconda to get loaded?
>> Just a guess as I haven't done any kickstart installs, so no
>> flames if I'm talking out of my you know what!
>
> I'm coming to the conclusion that RH, and by extension, CentOS
> just won't allow you to use a kickstart file over the network w/o
> DHCP.
>
> I can and have used NFS as long as I place the kickstart file on
> the CD itself.
>
> That's a pain.
>
> First look at the debugging screens ALT-F3-> ALT-F6. Is the installer
> complaining. We mostly use kickstarts via HTTP so I havent tried NFS
> in a long while.

The ALT-F2 keys didn't seem to work, and it hung up the install,
though I'm willing to try alternative suggestions.  CTL-ALT-F2 does
get me a shell prompt, if I do it during a pause.

What I've finally done is set up a vfat partition on the on the server
itself.  That way, when I do a
   clearpart --linux
in the ks.cfg it doesn't bother that vfat.

Leaving the ks.cfg on there allows me to try different kickstart
configurations with that server w/o having to make coasters each time.

Once I find kickstarts I like, I don't mind placing them on a CD.

Thanks for the help.  Even though I didn't accomplish what
I was originally looking for, I learned a lot trying everyone's
suggestions.
      === Al