[CentOS] CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp) and CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.EL)

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Sat Feb 17 23:27:40 UTC 2007

Greg:

As I understand it, the smp kernel is for multiprocessors
and the non-smp is for a single processor.

You will definitely want to use the smp kernel.

	Neil

FREE! Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Gregory P. Ennis
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:24 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp) and CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.EL)

List,

I am experimenting with a Dual processor Supermicro and plan to use
CentOS 5 when it is released.  In the meantime I have installed Centos
4.4.  Sorry for asking such a basic question but what is the difference
between CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp) and CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.8.EL)  Both
kernels have been installed, but I have not been able to find which one
is best to use for what purposes.

Thanks,

Greg Ennis