[CentOS] kernel-smp-2.6.9-48

Tue Feb 20 03:36:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 21:36 +0200, Maxim Shpakov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  There is kernel-smp-2.6.9-48 from Jason Baron at http://people.redhat.com/~jbaron/rhel4/
>  Can anyone advice where I can find RPMs of this kernel version for
>  CentOS 4.4 ? Or how it can be created...

Just for the record ... that link is RHEL testing kernels.

Those kernels are not deemed stable or have not passed QA.

At random intervals throughout the build cycle, kernels get released
there for testing (usually in relation to a bug from the redhat
bugzilla).

Sometimes we (CentOS) will be a kernel or maybe a couple and put them in
our Testing Repo:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

We do it for the same reason that the upstream guys do, to test fixes to
bugs in the CentOS Bug Tracker or because we need a feature in the newer
kernel, etc.

You can get the RPMS of the RH kernels directly from the above link, and
they will work on CentOS.  If we have a kernel built that will do what
you want in the testing repo, I would use it, as it was complied on
CentOS as signed by a CentOS key ... but there is very little that is
different and the jbaron kernels should work OK on CentOS.

Please do understand the there are possible regressions and possible
security updates missing from those kernels, as they are "Testing" and
not official "QA'ed" kernels.

They may fix a major problem, and you may want to use them ... and by
all means, do use them if they make your machine work ... just remember
that they need upgraded AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ... for they are _TESTING_
kernels :P

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

P.S. - Did I mention that those are testing kernels :P