[CentOS] alternative to rocks cluster

bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Tue Feb 20 13:00:00 UTC 2007

    TB> in rocks when you run the shoot-node command it reboots the
    TB> box to PXE, even if PXE is not first in the boot order it
    TB> seems, does anyone know how that is achieved? Is it in the
    TB> grub config and if so how?

There is a pseudo-service rocks-grub installed on every rocks-node. When
the node boots it sets the grub-configuration in such a way that grub
will call pxe-boot. At the end of a regular shutdown it resets the
grub-configuration to the regular harddisk-boot. That way every time
something bad happens to the node (in other words: was not shutdown
regularily) the node 'boots' by PXE (and is reinstalled).

The bottom line is that the BIOS-Bootorder does not get changed (the
node always boots from harddisk, just into different configurations)