[CentOS] DHCP Messages

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Thu Feb 22 15:48:14 UTC 2007

At 10:26 AM 2/22/2007, you wrote:

>Daniel Senie wrote:
>>At 09:42 AM 2/22/2007, Jean Figarella wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, Im getting this messages in the /var/log/messages about my
>>>dhcp server. I assume there is nothing to worry about, but just in
>>>case I have to ask. Are these messages fine? Do I need to specify
>>>the interface on which the dhcp server should listen to?

>>>dhcpd: Multiple interfaces match the same subnet: eth0 eth1
>>>dhcpd: Multiple interfaces match the same shared network: eth0 eth1
>>>LPF/eth1/00:a0:d1:e2:f5:1f/192.168.3/24
>>>
>>>dhcpd: Multiple interfaces match the same subnet: eth0 eth1
>>>dhcpd: Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:a0:d1:e2:f5:1f/192.168.3/24
>>>dhcpd: Multiple interfaces match the same shared network: eth0 eth1
>>>dhcpd: Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:d1:e2:f5:1e/192.168.3/24
>>What's ifconfig report for the IP addresses and subnet masks of
>>your multiple interfaces? And are these interfaces in fact cabled
>>to the same switch/hub?
>>

>>>Thanks
>>>Jean
>

>Yes, the two interfaces are configured to be int he same network
>using the same switch and everything; only because this server is
>replacing an old server. I guess if this is not an "OK" design I can
>just move the dhcp to a new server, since that this would be so easy to do.

You might want to use aliaing, so that eth0 is the base address and
eth0:0 is the IP address of the old server you've pulled out of
service. That way your new server will respond to both addresses, but
without the issues that arise with two interfaces on the same subnet.
The DHCP server will operate without complaint in the presence of
additional IP addresses on a single interface.