[CentOS] iSCSI, windows, & local linux access

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Feb 23 18:33:11 UTC 2007

Technically yes, if the volume has long periods of no activity though
there should be no problem in taking a snapshot and mounting that.
Understand that if the volume is being actively used by a backup process
the data contained therein will not be consistent, but it will not harm
the production volume, just the snapshot will not be considered prime.

> the only 'safe' way to do it would be for the windows machine
> to share
> the logical file system, and have the linux system access it as a
> smbmount via samba.
>    or use replication running on the windows server (rsync
> from mingw, etc)

Yes sharing it and mounting it back via CIFS is more reliable for a
highly active volume, but if you plan to then copy-out data over the
network it will slow things down to a crawl.

> Windows 2003 server has its own snapshotting capabilities, btw.

Which IMHO are crap. If it's backup jobs that are accessed during a run,
but otherwise sit there unused, then you can snapshot them off LVM
fairly safely.

-Ross