[CentOS] Flash por x64

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Mon Feb 26 22:04:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:07 -0300, Dago Pacheco wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:04:26PM -0300, Dago Pacheco wrote:
> >
> >> ok, but does it decrease the performance or does it generate
> >> problems?... by installing the 32bit version i mean
> >>

> > Not that you're likely to notice.
> >

> Maby is a stupid question, but i wanna be sure.  There will be no
> problem with the profile, right?... i don't wanna loose it.

The user profile should not be a problem, but the installation is a bit
more complicated than described earlier as firefox.i386 is not in the
x86_64 repos.  I have worked around this in the past by creating a repo
entry for the i386 version of the repos, disabled by default.  Sample
follows - excerpt from a modified
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo (watch out for wrapping):
#released i386 updates
[update-i386]
name=CentOS-$releasever - i386 Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=i386&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/i386/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=0
protect=1

Should then be able to do:

# yum --enable update-i386 install firefox.i386
# yum remove firefox.x86_64

This will need to be handled manually whenever there is a firefox
update, and this (along with some other 32/64-bit incompatibility
issues) is the primary reason I'm running an i386 install rather than
x86_64 on my dual Opteron desktop machine.

Phil