[CentOS] How to enable yum at startup with yum 2.9

Andreas Rogge arogge at gmx.de
Tue Feb 27 08:57:10 UTC 2007

> I updated yum 2.4 to yum 2.9 from ATRPMS by using yum as below.

You should *not* do that. As you already realized, it actually breaks
things.

> But, Since I updated yum to 2.9, All those are gone.
>
> Now I want to know that how to enable, restart yum.
>
> And also I want ot know should I write a crontab for my daily
> updtaes?
>
> Help needed.

Probably the best guess is:
- get a copy of the current yum rpm for CentOS 4
- uninstall the atrpms yum
- install the CentOS yum

After you have done that look into the protectbase plugin for yum[1]. It
can be used to prevent a 3rd party repository (like atrpms) from
updating the CentOS base packages, as this is usually not a good idea.

An example how it can be enabled for RPMForge[2] is also avaiable in the
Wiki[3].

Hope that helps

Andreas

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/ProtectBase