[CentOS] Swap Considerations

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 16:38:12 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote:

[snip]

> (The exception here is suspend-to-disk, which uses your swap partition.)

This is interesting, and something which just occurred to me. There
should be no reason that a desktop system should not be able to
suspend to disk. I have an UPS which saves my hide about one or
two times a month. OTOH, perhaps three times it has completely
run down, and I lost power. ISTM that one should be able to configure
a desktop to "notice" when the UPS is signalling that it is out
of power, and be able to suspend to disk, rather than shut down.

I haven't bothered to learn how to make my machine shut down when
the UPS is about to go "flat", because it hasn't seemed worth
the effort. However, if I could make it suspend to disk, so
the machine state could be recovered, that would be worth it.

Anyone have recommendations on how this could be done, and
how much swap to reserve for that?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.