[CentOS] virtualizing Windows in Cetnos

Cameron Showalter cameron at gwschool.com
Tue Feb 27 23:37:32 UTC 2007

William Warren wrote:
> no it's a p-4 2.4 ghz machine with 1 gig of ram and dual 160 gig
> hdd's..<G>
>
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On 2/27/07, William Warren
>> <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> Here is what i am looking to do.  i have a server SBS 2k3 machine.  I
>>> want to load linux on it then virtualize the SBS server inside the
>>> linux
>>> installation.  I would then be able to compress backup just the sbs
>>> virtual file instead of screwing with the backup programs inside of
>>> windows(even symantec's and yosemitie's stuff leaves much to be
>>> desired).  What are my options both free and commercial?  I know i will
>>> have to upgrade the memory to about 2 gigabytes..:)
>>
>> Assuming you don't have the spiffy new intel processors with the
>> virtualisation junk built in, vmware-server should do a reasonable job
>> of this. It's got some very nice cli managment, and you can tune the
>> linux box to be a bit more responsive with respect to the vmware
>> handling.

beef up the ram, and you should be good.   I have a P4 2.8ghz w/2gb ram
server running centos4.4 and vmware-server.   no problems thus far.  6
virtual machines running, one being win2003 SBS w/512mb ram.   the one
thing that slows it down it to allocating your diskspace at the time you
create the new machine.  I usually uncheck that box.