[CentOS] Disk Elevator

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Sat Jan 6 22:36:38 UTC 2007

The disk elevators or io schedulers are there to minimize head seek by
re-ordering and merging requests to read or write data from common areas
of the disk.

There are some tweaks to improve performance, but the performance gains
are minimal on a raid array (the elevators do not not stripe size as
they were implemented with single-spindle drives in mind).

The biggest performance gain you can achieve on a raid array is to make
sure you format the volume aligned to your raid stripe size. For example
if you have a 4 drive raid 5 and it is using 64K chunks, your stripe
size will be 256K. Given a 4K filesystem block size you would then have
a stride of 64 (256/4), so when you format your volume:

Mke2fs -E stride=64 (other needed options -j for ext3, -N <# of inodes>
for extended # of i-nodes, -O dir_index speeds up directory searches for
large # of files) /dev/XXXX

By aligning the file-system to the array stripe size you can minimize
short write penalties to your array which will speed up writes. By using
the -O dir_index option you can speed up reads a fraction, but by
minimizing the write penalties reads will gain performance anyway.

A short write penalty is when data is written to an array that is
shorter then the stripe (256K) then the remaining blocks will need to be
read from the stripe in order to compute a new parity for the stripe. If
the OS knows the stripe size then each stripe can be cached before hand
in a read-ahead  so when a write comes it should have all the data it
needs to write the full stripe to disk. It can also give hints to the
page cache for combining separate io that falls in the same stripe.

-Ross